Are you looking for something sweet, salty, crunchy and chewy? Well, you’ve found it. These treats deliver! The gummy orange candies add that special touch. If that’s not your cup of tea, you can substitute raisins or dried currants. But I have a sweet tooth, and I love the combination of dark chocolate with oranges. I must admit, it was a bit daunting to cut up the gummy candy, but so worth the effort. Make sure to put enough in there so you get some orange with every bite so it looks like this:
Another option instead of the orange gummies are to use candied orange peel. You will get a more intense orange flavor using those. Once you have enough orange pieces to your satisfaction, dip the clusters into the melted dark chocolate. These are the wafers I used, but any meltig wafers will do.
Once the chocolate is melted, toss the pretzels and orange candy mix in all at once and toss until the pretzels are covered with chocolate. Then with a slotted spoon, drop by clusters onto sheets of aluminum foil sprayed with cooking spray to set.
- 1 lb. bag of pretzels
- 1 lb, 14 oz. bag of Ghirardelli dark melting wafers
- 1 bag of orange gummie candies
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Pinch of sea salt
- Lay out a couple of long pieces of foil on your countertop. Lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Crumble or smash the bag of pretzels to break apart into smaller bits. Place the bits into a large bowl.
- Using kitchen shears, cut up the gummy candies into small bite-size pieces. Toss them into the pretzels and distribute evenly.
- In a heatproof bowl or over a double boiler, melt the chocolate wafers. Pour the chocolate over the pretzels and orange candies and toss until completely covered in chocolate..
- Using a slotted spoon or 2 forks, drop the chocolate covered pretzels into mounds on the sprayed aluminum foil. Sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt. Allow to air dry or refrigerate for 1 hour before serving. EAT!
Et cetera: The employees at work kept coming back again and again into the lunch room for these. Beware! They are addicting.