Isn’t Dr. Seuss a genius? And then Ron Howard and Jim Carrey come along and take How The Grinch Stole Christmas to the next level! The kids and I have so many great memories from watching the Grinch together. I’ll bet you all have several favorite quotes from the movie, as well. Well, here’s a fun treat you can make the next time you sit down with the family to watch it. “This is not pudding!”
- 1 Pillsbury Key Lime Pie boxed cake mix plus ingredients to make it
- Green cupcake liners
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ½ of a 3.5 oz. box of instant vanilla pudding
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- green and red gel food coloring
- red sprinkles
- cake decorating tips and cones
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare cake mix according to package directions and evenly distribute the batter into 20 cupcake wrappers. Bake for 15 minutes, or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Allow to cool.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, whip the whipping cream until soft peaks form. Add the pudding mix and vanilla and continue to whip until stiff.
- Divide the frosting into 2 portions. Dye one batch green and one batch red. Assemble 3 decorating cones and set aside.
- Fit one of the cones with a large, round decorating tip. Following the illustrations, create a Santa Hat shape on each cupcake. Over a bowl, decorate the hat with red sprinkles.
- Using another cone, fit it with a small star shape and add the white frosting. Make a star border around the base of the Santa hat and top it with a white "pom-pom".
- Using the last cone, fit it with the "grass" tip (pictured) and add the green frosting. Using short outward strokes, create the Grinch's hair all around the base of the Santa hat.
- Refrigerate any leftovers.
Et cetera: Watching the Grinch has never been more fun! Try accompanying the cupcakes with hot chocolate topped with heart-shaped marshmallows or whipped cream to represent the Grinch’s heart that “grew three sizes that day!”