Is your summer garden overrun with tomatoes? This is the dish for you. The taste of fresh tomatoes, roasted garlic and melted cheese really compliment each other well. That combination is just begging to be topped with fresh basil. It’s a variation on a caprese salad–also one of my favorites. This would be an awesome accompaniment for pasta or macaroni and cheese.
Daughter #2 introduced this dish to me and I am so glad she did! Her family loves it and I know yours will, too!
If you are not sure about the instructions for how to cut the garlic bulb, here is an illustration. You do not need to peel the garlic, just cut off the top! Drizzle it with olive oil, season it with salt then wrap it up and put it in the oven to roast. What you will be rewarded with is a soft, spreadable garlic paste with a mild garlic flavor.
- ½ (15 oz.) package refrigerated piecrusts or 1 frozen pie crust.
- 1 garlic bulb
- ½ teaspoon plus ¼ cup olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella or fontina cheese, divided
- 2 Tableslpoons chopped fresh basil
- 4-6 plum tomatoes, sliced ¼" thick
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Prepare refrigerated piecrust in a 9" pie pan according to package directions. Bake for 8 minutes or until piecrust is lightly browned; set aside.
- Cut off pointed end of garlic bulb with a sharp knife. Place garlic on a piece of aluminum foil and drizzle with ½ teaspoon olive oil. Fold foil to seal.
- Bake garlic for 30 minutes; cool. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Squeeze pulp from garlic cloves into cooled piecrust and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle ⅓ of the grated cheese over garlic.
- Slice tomatoes and sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper. Place on folded paper towels and let stand 10 minutes to drain excess moisture.
- Arrange ½ of the tomato slices over shredded cheese. Sprinkle the tomatoes with another ⅓ of the grated cheese. Arrange another layer of the remaining tomatoes and sprinkle with the last ⅓ portion of cheese. Drizzle with ¼ cup olive oil.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 minutes, or until pie is lightly browned.
- Garnish with fresh chopped basil. Slice in wedges and serve warm.