So here it is. It’s like a breakfast quiche/bread/pudding/scrambled egg dish. I know, it sounds like bells and whistles, but it’s not. Can you tell I can’t make up my mind? I really liked the sausage in this dish, but just to change it up next time, I will be making it with bacon or pancetta. Or maybe chorizo. Getting hungry now…
You can either make this casserole-style or as individual servings, as the picture shows. This is a make-ahead and refrigerate overnight breakfast dish. That’s so you can dream about it.
- 1 lb. Jimmy Dean's pork sausage (hot or mild)
- 2 cups cubed French bread
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups (6 oz.) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Crumble sausage in a medium skillet and cook over medium heat until browned. Drain.
- Meanwhile, spread bread cubes in a buttered 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Top with sausage and cheese.
- Combine eggs, milk and seasonings. Beat well and pour over cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-40 minutes or until set.
- Serve with fruit salad, if desired.