When I saw this recipe in Redbook Magazine, I couldn’t wait to try it! Who doesn’t love a good peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch? Now you can have this treat for breakfast! This is a fresh, new way to send the kids off to school with a warm and happy tummy. Or try them for your next brunch. My grandsons (or actually, their parents) are going to serve them at their next high school track team breakfast. Carbs and protein–a winning combination for the race track.
The recipe suggests topping them with strawberry jam, but my preference is grape jelly. I just popped it in the microwave for 1 minute and it was a perfect syrupy consistency. I’m sure any jam or jelly of your choice will be fine. Grandchild #6 is not a fan of jelly, so he had his with maple syrup and loved them.
I can also see these with chocolate chips instead of peanut butter chips in the mix. Or maybe even an Elvis version with nanners, er…bananas. Oh, my! Look at those beautiful bubbles! They are telling me it’s time to flip!
And here we are–take a picture of the stack because it won’t last long.
Now drizzle it with your favorite jam or jelly. No butter needed!
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 to 2 cups buttermilk or whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup peanut butter chips
- Grape jelly (or jam or jelly of your choice
- Vegetable oil
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs and butter and add to flour mixture. Whisk until evenly blended. Stir in peanut butter and chips.
- Heat a griddle or heavy skillet over medium heat. Lightly oil griddle.
- Spoon batter for each pancake onto griddle and cook for about 3 minutes, or until bubbles start to form. Flip pancakes and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Transfer to a platter. Keep warm in a low 250 degree oven if desired.
- Serve with warmed jam or jelly of your choice.