I hear there’s a shortage of Velveeta right now. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that everyone is making Queso Dip for watching the football games. I suggest you stock up on some Velveeta now because these potatoes are not only for potlucks. Your family will love them! And they are so easy to put together. I made these for a staff Christmas party and there was not a crumb left.
I got this recipe from a co-worker many years ago, who also made them for a staff potluck gathering. The recipe she gave me was on a hand-written piece of paper with no title. The genius in me named them Potluck Cheesy Potatoes.
- 2 bags frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- ½ cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 pint half and half
- 1 medium box (16 oz.) Velveeta cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spread the hash browns in a 13" x 9" casserole baking dish
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Add the half and half and bring to a slow boil.
- Add the Velveeta cheese and heat on low until melted. Pour over the hash browns.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Remove and top with the shredded cheddar cheese. Return to oven and bake another 5-10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.