Happy “May the Fourth be with you” day, Everyone! Well, I know it’s tomorrow, but I had to give you all some time for shopping! My coworker and I put our heads together for something to make for a Star Wars binge watching party and this is what we came up with: Darth Vader Veggie Dip! I chose the blue chips because Anakin’s first light saber was blue. Then, as he became the iconic character we all love to hate, Darth Vader, the light saber he chose was then red. The red bell peppers and the red cherry tomatoes symbolize this era in his life. The black pepper ties it all together. I can hear that haunting theme song right now.
Of course, if you find this veggie platter heavy on the “dark side”, you can always brighten it up with some more colorful veggies, such as carrots, celery or cucumbers. It’s your party and it’s all up to you!
Well, see ya all later. I’ll be starting my Star Wars binge day here pretty soon. May the Fourth be with you!
Et cetera: I adapted this recipe from one on the Food Network.
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ cup chopped fresh chives
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon dill
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated black pepper, plus more for garnish
- 1 bag blue tortilla chips
- 1-1/2 cups red cherry tomatoes
- 2 red bell peppers, julienned
- 4 carrots, cut into sticks (optional)
- 6 celery ribs, cut into sticks (optional)
- Stir together sour cream, mayonnaise, parsley, chives, garlic, dill, salt, and pepper in a bowl until combined well. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- For serving, dice one or two of the red pepper spears and sprinkle on top of the dip. Sprinkle more freshly ground black pepper over the top and serve with chips and vegetables.