When my kids were little…in a galaxy far, far away…I decided I wanted to expand their culinary horizons. Man cannot live on Mexican food alone. So, I bought an international cookbook with recipes from all over the world. I have to admit that I didn’t get too far with this project, but I am so glad I tried this Burgundy Beef recipe from the section on French recipes. It became an instant hit with the entire family. I liked to call it “Boeuf Bourguignon” because I wanted to believe that I was sophisticated and could speak a little French, but I’m sure I was butchering the pronunciation. But, just for a moment, I was Audrey Hepburn in Funny Face.
Back to the food and back to reality. This is one of those low and slow meals that takes 3-4 hours to simmer, and you will be rewarded with very tender meat. It must be a slow simmer or you’ll burn it, so make sure you have it on a low heat and keep an eye on it. I like to serve it over mashed potatoes, but I’m sure it would also go well over rice or noodles, or just by itself. There are so many flavors in this one, so take your time savoring it.
Since this recipe was such a hit, maybe I will try more of those international recipes. I still have the cookbook!
- 4 bacon slices, finely chopped
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 lbs. beef round or top round steak, cut in 1" cubes
- 2 onions, sliced or cut in wedges
- salt and pepper
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 Tablespoon all purpose flour
- ¾ cup burgundy or other red wine
- 1 cup beef stock or broth
- 1 parsley sprig
- 1 thyme sprig
- 4 oz. mushrooms, thinly sliced
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, fry bacon until crisp. Remove cooked bacon and set aside.
- Add oil to bacon drippings. Brown beef cubes in hot oil and bacon drippings until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Add onions and saute another 10 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper and garlic. Stir in flour and cook through 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in wine and stock or broth. Add parsley and thyme.
- Cover and simmer on low for 3 hours. Add mushrooms and cooked bacon and simmer for another 20 minutes. Serve immediately.