Margherita Pizza is my favorite pizza. I love it’s simplicity, it’s freshness, yet it is packed full of flavor! I only make it when I have many with whom to share it or I would eat it all! Grilling it adds another dimension of smokiness. The fresh tomatoes are complimented by fresh garlic and basil, along with dried herbs and a variety of cheeses. Every bite is a delight.
Grilling your pizza will also help keep your house cool during the summer, but this will also work in the oven. Enlist the kids to help you pile on the toppings! Or your dinner guests. This makes a great appetizer!
I use this recipe for the pizza dough, but you can also use purchased frozen pizza dough. I recently shared it with some of my grandchildren and they loved it! This is a nice alternative to tomato pie and a nice way to use all of those tomatoes in your garden this summer.
- 1 recipe homemade or frozen pizza dough
- 1 Tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 cup Italian four cheese blend, grated
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Olive oil for drizzling
- 4-5 fresh basil leaves, in slices
- Preheat grill to medium high heat. Mince the garlic and place in a small saucepan over medium heat with the butter. Once the butter is melted, allow to cool.
- For the dough, turn a cookie sheet over and using the bottom, brush olive oil on the cookie sheet. Take a ball of pizza dough and press and shape the dough until it becomes the desired size. Brush or spray the top side of the pizza dough with oil also and place directly on the hot grill. Cover and cook for about 2 minutes. Using tongs, flip over and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Remove from grill to add toppings.
- Note: If you are making this in the oven, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Press and shape the dough and place on a cookie sheet or a pizza stone. Add all ingredients as directed below and follow your pizza dough recipe for instructions for baking in the oven.
- For the grilled pizza dough, brush the pizza with the melted garlic butter. Top with the cheeses, then with the tomato slices.
- To add the dried oregano, measure the 1 teaspoon into the palm of your hand. Then rubbing your hands together as if you are cold and want to warm up your hands, rub the oregano between your hands and allow it to sprinkle over the tomatoes, distributing evenly. Rubbing the oregano between the palms of your hands brings out the flavor.
- Sprinkle the dried basil in the same fashion. Then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Finally, drizzle some olive oil over all of the ingredients.
- Return the pizza to the grill on low flame and cover, allowing the cheeses to melt, about 5-7 minutes. If making the pizza in the oven, it will probably take about 30 minutes.
- Top with the sliced fresh basil leaves and eat!